Tel: 01206 563 407
Mob: 07957 771 690
Fax: 01621 862 669
Email: [email protected]
Address: Unit 2 Rota House
If you have any queries about any of the services provided by Animal Magic, please feel free to ask any of our dedicated team members.
To help with your enquiries, below are some Frequently Asked Questions.
1. I am interested in a couple of your grooming courses- do I need any previous experience?
Depending on what you wish to accomplish, whether it is to groom your own pet at home, or to be a professional, we would advise you to attend the beginners course in dog grooming or the 2 day course in cat grooming (no clipping). If you enjoy the course, then you can progress onto our more advanced courses.
It would be useful to have general understanding of dogs/ cats but this is not essential as you will be taught the very basics to begin with.
2. I want to attend the one day beginners course but I don’t have a dog. Does this mean that I can’t come?
The one day dog grooming course for beginners is designed for dog owners who wish to learn about grooming their dog at home/ in between professional grooms and so a dog is needed to handle and learn from.
If you are going to attend the course as a taster of what the grooming industry entails, we can discuss providing a dog for you to learn from.
On all of the courses there will be dogs used for grooming, demonstrations and handling purposes.
3. I want to attend the cat grooming course. What breeds of cat will we groom? I have a British short haired cat; do I need to groom a long haired cat? If so, will there be one on the course?
If you want to learn about cat grooming for your own interests, bring along the cat that you have. If you have more than one cat, we will discuss bringing them in for you to learn about.
Cats will be available for demonstration purposes.
4. How much theory is going to be taught on the course in comparison to the practical work?
On all of the courses, they are mainly practical based. The more advanced the training course is, the more theory there will be.
Each student will learn the basic anatomy and physiology of a dog/ cat, behaviour, handling and restraint techniques. The practical work will involve the students proving their understanding and knowledge of what has been taught in the theory sessions.
On the clinical conditions and geriatric dog course, some science is taught. Don’t be frightened off by the course title! It is a very interesting and useful course- all dogs get old, and some do develop health problems.
The 28/ 30 day courses, theory sessions will be about setting up a grooming business so does involve classroom work. At Animal Magic, we believe in hands-on experience, thus practical work is one of our main focuses.
5. My dog is not very good with other dogs/ strangers, what shall I do?
Please contact us to discuss this matter. All dogs are treated as individuals and there is not one single solution in answering this question.
6. Is there an exam at the end of the training course?
Students will be supervised and assessed throughout the courses. Students will have to pass an oral test or multiple choice exam with some short answer questions depending on the level of training. There are no trick questions! All assessments are based on information already explained and discussed.
7. Do I have to complete any assignments?
There are no assignments to be completed. Theory sessions will involve small written tasks.
8. Do I get one to one tuition?
There are 2 course trainers which will both be supervising, monitoring and training students. There will be one to one tuition as well as group learning.
9. How many students are there in a class? Will everyone be watching what I am doing, I am a bit nervous.
Classes will have up to 6 students to ensure that the tutors give students their full attention.
10. What qualification do I get?
On completion of the course, students will obtain a certificate of attendance. Animal Magic courses aim to help grooming enthusiasts gain important knowledge and hands on experiences. This is vital if students wish to progress in gaining qualifications. Courses train students up to City and Guilds levels.
11. Can I get a job as a groomer after completing the course?
On completion of the course, students may be able to apply for jobs at grooming parlours. However, individual grooming businesses have their own rules on experience and qualifications.
12. Can I do work experience with you so that I can practice what I have been taught?
Animal Magic accepts work experience from school and college students. If students attend college after completing courses at Animal Magic and wish to apply for work experience through the college, we will happily accept you for work placement.
13. If I complete the full 30 day course, will I be able to open my own grooming business?
Students will learn all of the basic concepts of the grooming industry. Qualifications give groomers more credibility and we advise that more training is required to ensure aspects of the grooming business are covered in more depth.
14. What happens if I fail the course?
All students will be given opportunities to ask questions if they are unsure of something. All students learn at their own pace to ensure all information and techniques are grasped with confidence. If students do not learn as well as we expect, extra training will be given.
15. I show dogs, what breeds will I learn to style? I only have American Cocker Spaniels, I don’t know about any other breed.
Students will learn about how to style faces of different breeds, trim and layer hair as well as typical breed standard haircuts, like the skirt, feathering, bloomers as well as handstripping. Animal Magic will try to provide as large range of dogs as possible which require a variety of styles.
16. I have a short haired cat; do I need to learn about clipping?
Cat owners will find the cat clipping course interesting if there is a possibility of long haired cats being owned in the future. Short haired cats do not tend to require clipping, although there may be times when it is necessary and thus useful to learn about. For instance, as a method of keeping the cat cool in hot weather, or as a way of maintaining the coat.
17. I am a customer of Animal Magic grooming/ hydrotherapy, do I get a discount on course fees?
Unfortunately Animal Magic cannot offer discounts on course fees, however we will offer discounted grooming rates on your next appointment.
18. What will I learn on the clinical conditions and geriatric dog course that I won’t be taught on the basic grooming course?
Students will learn about the differences in handling and restraint techniques, background knowledge of the conditions and processes that occur in an older dog. Grooming will be taught similarly to the basic dog grooming course. However, the basic dog grooming course needs to be successfully completed first so that the general background information is understood.
19. What if I am ill/ cannot attend a day of training, does that mean that I fail?
No. Students must have a valid reason for not attending; a doctors letter will be required. Extra training days may be provided. Please ask for more details.
20. Can I bring my puppy/ kitten?
Students need to know how to groom puppies and kittens. Puppies and kittens require more time and competence to train. Please ask for more information.
21. Do I need to bring a dog for the basic, clinical and geriatric, and styling courses?
Ask for more details. The aim is to provide as much variety as possible with conditions, breeds and coat types.
22. Will I be working on my own or in a group?
Both. Students will be working with others as well as on their own. Team work is important in all businesses. Communication is vital when working with animals; one element of the training course is seeing how well students work with different people.
23. Will I get a break/ lunch break?
Yes, students will get an hour lunch break and 2 15min breaks to have a rest, food, drink, and socialise with the rest of the class and staff.
24. Will I get bitten or scratched?
Students will be taught about restraint techniques and dealing with difficult dogs. Students will not handle aggressive dogs although, if proven competent, they will assist and help in demonstrations.
25. What do the fees include?
Fees include administration, study handouts, a tabard to wear and protect students clothing, Animal Magic goodies (some courses only), dog and/ or cat toys/ treats and light refreshments.
26. Do I need to buy/ bring my own grooming equipment?
No. Equipment will be provided.
27. What happens if I need to leave early to get a train/ bus?
Please ask for more details.
28. Do I get a discount on course fees if I attend more than one course? At the moment I do not know if the 28/30 day course is really for me, but I may decide to learn more later on if I like it.
Yes, discounts will be given. Depending on the courses original fees, discounts may vary slightly. Ask for more details.
29. Do you do any hydrotherapy training?
No, unfortunately we do not train in hydrotherapy. For more information, we can recommend training centres.
30. I did work experience for school/ college at a grooming parlour, do you recommend I attend one of your courses?
Yes. All experience is vital for all future groomers. Our training courses will help all future prospects for students.
31. I did work experience for school/ college with you at Animal Magic. Do you recommend I attend one of your courses?
Yes. All experience is vital for all future groomers. Our training courses will help all future prospects for students. Work experience training is different to course training, students will learn a great deal more, and of a greater standard and level.
32. My dog/ cat is matted. Will I be able to bring my dog/ cat on the one day beginners course/ non clipping cat grooming course?
Ask for more details. Matted dogs and cats require clipping but it depends on how badly matted and where the matts are.
33. What do I need to wear?
Students will be provided with a tabard to protect their clothing. A list will be provided on registration of the course.
34. What do I need to bring with me?
A list will be provided on registration of the course.